Mighty Writers was founded in 2009 with the mission to teach kids to think clearly and write with clarity. The organization offers free after school academies, writing workshops, teen scholar programs, mentorships and college prep classes at centers in four diverse Philadelphia neighborhoods. Tim Whitaker, executive director of Mighty Writers, joins Lee on the podcast.
Tim began his career teaching fifth and sixth grade in Philadelphia before becoming a writer and editor. He was the editor of Philadelphia Weekly (1994—2008), and previously the editor of PhillySport and Pittsburgh magazines. Whitaker was a head writer at NBC Radio and has written for The New York Times, Washington Post and Philadelphia Inquirer. He is also the author of “Crash: The Life and Times of Dick Allen.”
The podcast is produced by Red Cup Agency.
- “You know I think that you know our big mantra around here is to think clearly and write with clarity and you can’t write anything of value that anyone wants to read if you’re not thinking clearly first.” Tim at 2:04
- “You may be a math whiz or a science whiz but if you don’t know how to express in what you know about those topics in writing them that’s of no value” Tim at 3:38
- “So you know it does wonders to be to be sitting side by side with the kids just to know what they care about.” Tim at 5:50
- “We have a staff that’s super committed super involved super interest day care a great deal about the kids.” Tim at 9:07
- “That’s why we try to fill in the gap try to show them that they like you know what it’s going to take to be successful.” Tim at 10:54