Our guest today is Shaelynn Farnsworth. Shaelynn is a leader in the convergence between literacy and technology. As High School teacher she redefined her English classroom as not only a place to learn about literature but also explore how technology is shaping the future of communications. We’re going to talk with her today about finding that balance between literature and tech, dig into digital literacy, and talk data.
EdTech Now is a short podcast about education technology and how it’s used in the classroom. The podcast is sponsored by Stackup, a Chrome browser extension that tracks reading online for teachers and students, and delivers metrics to administrators. The podcast is hosted by Noah Geisel, education director at Stackup.
Stackup is the only tool that unlocks the learning benefits of the entire web, while providing the accountability educators need to measure progress and engagement. With Stackup, you can measure and report online reading and learning for your entire district, in less than two minutes. Go to Stackup.net. The podcast is produced by Red Cup Agency.
- “I think that formative assessment really lets us as instructors know if the students grasp the learning target and where they’re heading.” Shaelynn at 1:50
- “Technology gives us that real time data which allows us to then change our instruction to meet the needs of all students.” Shaelynn at 3:30
- “Is our learning target obvious to students do they understand where they are headed and what kind of ties back to that intrinsic motivation” Shaelynn at 5:55
- “Do students understand that everything that they read online is not true? Where do you find reliable relevant sources?”Shaelynn at 8:01
- “I love thinking about those things as well as multi mobile communication.”Shaelynn at 11:18
- Video with Steven Anderson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3bdxRZXRy4