Matt Miller is a teacher who has blended technology into his classes for more than 10 years. He is a Google-Certified Innovator, one of 1,000 in the U.S. He is also the author of the important book, Ditch that Textbook.
Ditch that textbook! It’s more than a battle cry – it’s a methodology. Texts are a google search away, and video instruction is all over YouTube. How do students respond to the idea of “assigning the internet” in order to learn?
Matt Miller is a teacher, blogger and presenter from West Central Indiana. He has infused technology and innovative teaching methods in his classes for more than 10 years. He is the author of the book Ditch That Textbook: Free Your Teaching and Revolutionize Your Classroom.(tinyurl.com/dttbook) and writes at the Ditch That Textbook blog about using technology and creative ideas in teaching. He is a Google Certified Innovator. Onalytica named him one of the top 10 influencers in educational technology and elearning worldwide. (www.onalytica.com/wp-content/uploa…s-and-Brands.pdf)
After trying to do the traditional “teach by the textbook” for a few years, he launched into a textbook-less path where learning activities were often custom-produced for his students as well as infused with technology. He likes the results a lot, and his students do, too.
Matt has presented to thousands of teachers at dozens of workshops on a number of topics related to educational technology, world language instruction and more. He combines a conversational, engaging speaking style with loads of resources, leaving teachers equipped and inspired to move forward.
- “I think of how many things that I’ve learned by starting off with a short YouTube video” Matt at 1:09
- “Teachers are taking risks and breaking the mold” Matt at 3:08
- “When it wasn’t getting the results that I wanted, that’s when I started experimenting” Matt at 4:49
- “The ones that are taking those risks and trying some things are having some real success” Matt at 5:25
- “Safe teaching is actually risky teaching” Matt at 6:11
- “As we go forward we have to change the way that we see what an authoritative text is” Matt at 92
EdTech NOW podcast, sponsored by Stackup. Get credit for what you read online. Build your personal learning profile and discover your interests, automatically, on Stackup. (stackup.net)