On the Brandboom podcast Amy Zhou discovers trends and shares tips and stories from the savviest retail brands. Our guest today is Melissa Gonzalez. Melissa is a retail futurist and expert consultant in pop-up shops, who has been awarded design:retail 40 under 40 for her work transforming retail environments. She brings some deep knowledge on how pop-ups can benefit your brand, which brands should try them, and why pop-ups have become more popular. You can also find the podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, Tunein, Stitcher, and the Google Play store.
- “So it’s just always kind of like a new puzzle that we’re solving and figuring out, and, you know, and helping people rethink how they can create an experience, and what can’t I deliver online that I wanna bring into the offline world?” Melissa at 4:57
- “There’s an opportunity for really, really high-touch interaction and learning in a physical space that you just can’t do online.” Melissa at 6:15
- “You can’t hear what your customer is saying unless they’re posting on socials or making, you know, a comment on your website, but in a store you can really observe how somebody responds to your product after either speaking to a friend or speaking to the associate” Melissa at 7:46
- “I would say that one of the top kind of underestimated areas of pop ups is the amount of money and time a lot of the brands put towards in-store staff.” Melissa at 12:00
- “The ROI is really qualitative and quantitative in a pop-up store, and so it’s not just the sales you make between the four walls while the pop-up is open, it’s also all of the things that you’re gonna learn to help you make better marketing and merchandizing decisions going forward. ” Melissa at 14:06
- “My biggest piece of advice is always, when you know you wanna do a pop-up make sure you understand why and make sure that you have a clear point of view on what your goals are gonna be, and that you understand what you would consider a success so that that should kind of guide the conversation” Melissa at 29:58
Read the entire show transcript here.