EdTech NOW is a ten-minute podcast about education technology and how it’s used in the classroom. It is hosted by Lee Schneider of Red Cup Agency and Noah Geisel, education director at Stackup.
Our guest today is Eric Sheninger, a thought leader in innovative education practices and award-winning principal of New Milford High School. The school became a global model for innovation and achievement in secondary schooling under Eric’s leadership.
Eric is a Senior Fellow and Thought Leader on Digital Leadership with the International Center for Leadership in Education. Prior to this he was the award-winning Principal at New Milford High School. Under his leadership his school became a globally recognized model for innovative practices. Eric oversaw the successful implementation of several sustainable change initiatives that radically transformed the learning culture at his school while increasing achievement.
His work focuses on leading and learning in the digital age as a model for moving schools and districts forward. This has led to the formation of the Pillars of Digital Leadership, a framework for all educators to initiate sustainable change to transform school cultures.
- “As schools change, leadership must change as well.” (at 0:37)
- Among the seven pillars of digital leadership are communications, PR, and branding. ( at 1:12)
- Professional development has always been done to us. “We are gravitating toward the term professional learning.”( at 2:47)
- How do we hold ourselves accountable for effective professional learning? (at 4:25)
- Our fidelity has to be our loyalty and faithfulness to our students (at 6:08)
- What advice do you have for those teachers might want to coach up their professional leadership? (at 7:03)
- Leadership is leadership, with or without technology (at 8:30)
- Digital gives us a great lens to look at our core practice (at 8:54)
- The culture of learning must motivate and inspire students while proving the value in what they’re learning ( at 9:30)
Jump to any clip by clicking on the timeline.
Red Cup Agency produces EdTech NOW. EdTech NOW is sponsored by Stackup. (stackup.net).
Stackup is a smart Chrome browser extension that gives students recognition for all of their online reading. With Stackup’s Measure Reading Level button teachers and students can instantly identify the grade level of the text on a web page with a single click of a button. Now, in real time, a teacher can quickly decipher whether a certain web page is an appropriate reading assignment for her students. This feature will be also helpful for students who want to ensure that they are reading appropriately leveled texts.