Joining Lee Schneider on the podcast for this episode is Cheryl Clements, the founder and CEO of PieShell. PieShell is a crowdfunding platform that emboldens and empowers food and beverage entrepreneurs and enthusiasts.
For Cheryl, food is personal.Growing up, she spent summers helping her mother run a pie-making business. Aptly named “The Pie Shell,”it was headquartered where all good startups begin: in the family’s basement. It was from her mother that Cheryl learned what it takes to build a successful food operation. More than that, she learned how communities grow around the food that people share. When Cheryl thought of embarking on her own food venture, she saw a crucial need for a crowdfunding platform that addresses the unique challenges of food and beverage entrepreneurs.
- “That is one of the things that crowdfunding leverages tremendously — is that sense of community.” Cheryl at 1:53
- “The foodies that follow them and are passionate about finding some new and cool food, they’re watching and they’re seeing these new companies come to be.” Cheryl at 3:47
- “If someone contributes a dollar or a thousand dollars, they are invested. They believe in you and what you’re doing, and they will be there to support you as you grow.” Cheryl at 7:32
- “Because unfortunately if you go and you fail at a crowd funding campaign people don’t think it’s because you weren’t good at the campaign.” Cheryl at 12:49
- “I think the biggest thing is don’t limit yourself to thinking that you’re not at the right point yet.” Cheryl at 19:35